Finding a Kinect for CHEAP
If you are interested in testing out the AssessLinkPE app but don't want to keep costs down continue reading...
STEP ONE: Find a Kinect Camera
Every Microsoft Xbox One sold since 2013 came with the 2nd version of the Kinect 3D Sensor. Nearly 26 million of these gaming units were sold. So that means there are literally millions of Kinect v2 sensors sitting in basements collecting dust. So ask your students, or do a simple search online on sites like Craigslist or Facebook Classifieds.
STEP TWO: Adapt the plug
The next step is to get the proprietary plug that comes with the Kinect v2 camera converted to a USB 3.0 signal so it can be used with a computer. There are several ways to do this.
- Buy the USB 3.0 adapter from a Amazon for $195.
- Find a OEM USB 3.0 adapter on Ebay for $75
- Have someone adapt your Kinect to USB 3.0 and AC Power for $40
- Do it yourself for less than $10
- Buy it from us for $129.99